2,000 Miles in 20 Minutes
Here’s the video of my trip from Sault Ste Marie to Key West taken in the middle of winter (in the northern hemisphere).
The video is technically 1,974 miles in 18:50 minutes, but that doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.
Gratuitous palm tree pictures. Winter
will end eventually, right?
It’s apparent that next time I do this, I have to bring a lot more equipment. Maybe I need to bring the Top Gear crew with me. Or Ken Block’s guys. I need more video angles, more high def footage, and better acting. I might as well get a faster car while I’m at it. This blogging on a budget is for the birds.
For the lazy like me (TL;DW), here are the times when stuff happens:
00:00 – “Roll Me Away”
01:45 – I-75 entrance ramp
02:53 – Mackinac Bridge
04:00 – Zilwaukee Bridge
04:33 – “Don’t Stop…”
05:05 – 8 Mile Road
05:23 – South Detroit
06:32 – Ice storm
08:39 – Atlanta / “Angry White Guy Music”
13:51 – “Werewolves in Alabama”
14:30 – Key Largo
16:54 – 7 Mile Bridge
17:04 – 458
17:57 – Key West
Some people may care, so here is the list of stuff I used to make the video:
- The temperature is actually engine intake temperature with a number-massaging algorithm applied to it. It’s least accurate after a stop.
- Parts of the video are either at 1x, 2x, or 8x speed.
- I forgot how to turn on one of my video cameras, so I didn’t get as many angles as I had hoped. Old age, or oldage, as I call it (like footage or baggage or pawnage).
- I also forgot to turn the GPS logger on once in a while. It only affected a couple of clips from the video. More oldage.
- The GPS route on the map is slightly off. Yes, it bugs me so don’t bring it up. Stupid curvature of the Earth in a Cartesian coordinate world. We should go back to the flat Earth.
- I didn’t get a video of the end of I-75. I blame my lazy crew of one.
- I didn’t stop during the drive on Florida Highway 1 to Key West.
- And yes, I know Journey is from San Francisco. It was them or Madonna.
- This is a lot of text just to show a video.
- What else? Oh, yeah. The video.
A video only a Detroit, Michigan based, road trip driving, music enthusiast could like. Who drives a Subaru.
Crankiness Rating: 1 out 11 (palm trees… so calming… but only if they’re freakin’ near by, not 2,000 miles away…)